Thursday, May 31, 2012

Water Coolers Watch Out!

May 22, 2012--Happy Birthday to Meeeee! (Erica, guest blogger again, I volunteered this time). Actually, my real beez is on May 21st, but thanks to our season tickets, how lucky can a girl get with a game so close to her birthday? Too bad I couldn't afford to send myself a birthday message on the diamond vision...anywho...

Back to the game and its happenings, cause lemme tell you this is a good one--are you comfortably ensconced in your computer chair at work?? (Michael Kaaaaay!) Ok, so being the hothead that I am, no exaggeration, just ask Dana--26 years of fights, arguments, temper tantrums, and the many occasions I pulled a Pauly O'Neill on her and threw my helmet after an unsuccessful at bat, you can only imagine how much will-power it takes for me to suppress my anger. And let's face it, the bleachers are the perfect place to let off some steam. In all my years of attending Yankee games, I have NEVER encountered a more annoying, borderline "you-could-be-a-Red-Sox-fan-with-that-mouth" Yankees fan...this night, I did.



From the first pitch, the two kids sitting behind us (roughly high schoolers, I only figured this because later on I saw them drinking Pepsi--I missed my opportunity to Glee-slushie them, buuuut, with cops around, I wasn't about to miss the last out of the game) were busting on my man Phil-Z Dawg, that's Phil Hughes for those of you not caught up on the lingo yet...jinxing his no-hitter/perfect game and being all around jackazzes with their chants...words were exchanged on our end, me and Gina both, but the fire didn't really come until later on in the game.

The taunting didn't end...Derek Jeter stepped up to the plate and the kids were shouting "C'mon, ground into a double play!" CLAP CLAP CLAP in my ear!! At this point I turned around and said "Why don't you go sit in Fenway Park?" Then, on top of it all, when I heard the father chime in, yes, the dad was just as annoying, I was in complete disbelief...is this really happening right now? One of the kids, when I turned around with a snarl on my face that Rocky Balboa would be jealous of, looked me in the eye as he clapped and said "I'm jinxing it on purpose, it's gonna work!" Now lemme axe ya...who the eff says that?? I couldn't help it, my head heated up from chin to hairline, just like Roger Rabbit. I shouted back at him, "I CAME HERE TO WATCH THE GAME, NOT LISTEN TO YOU YELL AND SCREAM, SHUT THE HELL UP MAN!" Umm, expletive, expletive. I didn't find out til later that other words were exchanged between Dana, Gina, and the dad...that's part of the story they can tell...

So, what? I yelled a little at a coupla teenagers who were clearly egging me on...sometimes ya just gotta say something. The irritating remarks went on until the last out and in between innings when Dana and Gina went traipsing around the stadium. As we exited the park and crossed the street back to the train, my Roger Rabbit syndrome came back (or never left). I mentioned to Dana and Gina that I would have rather sat next to a polite ginger-bearded Red Sox fan than next to those *@$!&@$%&! Fill in the blank...

All in all, if you haven't noticed, what they say about sports being cathartic is absolutely true. So much of the fan in you is invested in a bunch of guys out there on the field smacking a ball around for a living. If only that were real life for us normal folks...

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my game recap. A little piece of advice if you find yourself sitting next to us girls in the bleachers--DON'T HATE! I can't guarantee I'll be as nice the next time.

-- Erica

Editor's Note: The Yankees won!

No comments:

Post a Comment